Preventing Cold & Flu
Each year, customers and employees are negatively impacted by cold and flu season as viruses are spread quickly through commonly touched surfaces. To minimize potential exposure to cold and flu, turn to Hardware Express for helpful tips and the products you need to keep your customers and staff healthy and safe.
Protect Against the Flu
Each year, cold and flu season is responsible for nearly 44 million sick days in the US, resulting in almost $9.5 billion of financial burden on the business economy.1 The following key areas have the highest likelihood of harboring cold- and flu-causing germs at your store and your customers’ properties:
- Common areas and gathering places
- Door handles
Follow these tips to keep your property clean and safe:
- Supply paper towels instead of air dryers in restrooms to help reduce the amount of bacteria left on hands after washing with hand soap.
- Install hand sanitizer dispensers at entrances and outside restrooms. Don't forget to provide disinfecting wipes for shopping carts.
- Provide cleaning staff with microfiber cloths and sanitizing or disinfecting cleaning chemicals to keep commonly touched surfaces sanitary.
- Have facial tissue readily available for staff to reduce the spread of germs.
As an apartment community, you have an opportunity to educate your residents on cold and flu prevention. The first step is to practice what you preach by implementing a cold and flu prevention plan at your property. The next step is communicating to your residents about what they can do to prevent the spread of germs and viruses this season.
- Get the flu shot. According to the CDC, a flu shot is the most important way to protect yourself and others during flu season.
- Wash your hands. Washing your hands regularly is one of the best ways to avoid cold and flu viruses, as well as prevent the spread of germs to others.
- Prioritize a healthy lifestyle. Easy steps like maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, drinking plenty of fluids and getting a good night's sleep keep your immune system in tip-top shape and better able to fight off the germs you can't avoid.
- Stay at home when you're sick. Staying home will prevent the spread of viruses that cause flu epidemics.
1 Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc. (2017). H3N2 Spreading Rapidly Nationwide: Earlier, More Aggressive Flu Season Could Cost Employers $9.4 Billion. Retrieved from https://www.challengergray.com/press/press-releases/h3n2-spreading-rapidly-nationwide-earlier-more-aggressive-flu-season-could-cost